VII. NUKAVUL (Wemic)
A Nukavul has a leonine body with a humanoid torso extending from what would be a lion’s neck. The typical Nukavul measures ten feet from head to rump. When standing erect in centaurian posture, the Nukavul stands 6 to 7 feet tall. Most of the body is covered in dusky golden fur. The tail is tipped by a brush of long, black hair. Adult males also have a mane of long black hair; the mane covers the top and back of the head and extends to the neck and shoulders. Male cubs develop this mane in their third year. The underbelly is covered in short, white fur. The nose may be black or russet. The eyes are gold with vertically slit pupils. The digits on all limbs end in claws, though those on the humanoid hands are rudimentary. The claws on the forelegs are retractable.
In combat, the Nukavul use their forelegs to claw and employ their hands to wield weapons. Nukavul possess keen senses. They are masters of ambushes and hunting strategy. If they cannot surprise an intended victim, 1-3 Nukavul move to outflank the prey. Nukavul possess powerful leg muscles. They can leap 10 feet upward or 30 feet forward.
Mating occurs at any time of year. The female bears a litter of one to three cubs in ten months. The cubs are born with a camouflage pattern of black spots; these fade within two months. Nukavul cubs are playful and curious; they possess few instincts and thus must learn everything. Cubs are born with 1 HD and gain 2 HD each year. They reach maturity at age 3. They are excellent trackers and guides. They may hire out their services in exchange for treasure and tools, such as weapons and magical items. They may also charge travelers a toll for safe passage through their nation’s territory.
The Nukavul are well adapted to their harsh homeland, and their traditional society is semi-nomadic , centred around the herds of camels they guard. They traditionally live in small family groups of 10 to 20 members, the membership of which is somewhat fluid, with members leaving to join other groups or forming their own being a common occurrence. Despite this apparent temporary nature of these groupings, members are fiercely loyal to the grouping they are currently a member of, and they will readily risk their lives for the other members.
The original Nukavul nation was divided into seven great tribes (Dulkuv, Kild, Kòkna, Kol, Kòva, Nòkavol, & Vavok), who regarded themselves as separate peoples, but since the establishment of the Knarunate, tribal affiliation has lost any real relevance beyond some small social competition or as a source of collective pride.
Nukavul consider themselves to be superior to all other races, and are often condescending or even outright insulting when interacting with them. Nukavul distrust arcane magic and wizards and sorcerors, but bards and clerics are highly honoured in Nukavul society.
Since their adoption of the Irhilùrite faith, the Nakavul have become a stern and severe people. While in the past, Nukavul loved to celebrate and sing and dance, they now see these things as vices. Instead they channel their artistic ability into weapon-smithing and inventing new fighting styles and techniques. Their music has become sad and mysterious. Their bards’ performances are extremely intense. Bards have the ability to use “Warcry” during battle. This cry causes fear in non-Nakavul.
- Nukavul characters have the following game-specific (3.5) characteristics.
Stat Adjustments: +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
- Size: Large (As large creatures, Nukavul suffer a -1 size penalty on attack rolls and AC. They also suffer a -4 size penalty on Hide checks. However, they can use larger weapons than humans can, and their lifting and carrying limits are twice those of medium-sized characters).
- Movement: Wemic base land speed is 40 feet.
- Natural Armour: Nukavul have a base AC of 13
- Darkvision: Nukavul have Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Weapon Familiarity: proficient with all simple weapons and shields.
- +8 racial bonus on Jump checks
- Natural Attacks: Nukavul can make 2 claw attacks, dealing 1d6 points of damage on each. A Nukavul can attack with a one-handed weapon at his normal attack bonus, and make a claw attack as a secondary attack (-5 penalty on the attack roll, and half Str bonus on the damage roll).
- Languages: Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Common or by region.
- Favored Class: Barbarian
Based primarily on the Wemic article on the World of Azolin Wiki and the Wemic entry in the 2E Monstrous manual, with bits and pieces garnered from the various sites listed on the links page of Cayzle’s Wemic Site.