KUANÒVOD (Arctic Dwarf)
The Kuanòvod have a great love for nature. As a result of this love, Kuanòvod s have a strong love and empathy for wild animals. Kuanòvods generally live in clans similar to those of other dwarven races.
The skin of the Kuanòvod is fairly colorless, as indicated by its whitish-yellow complexion. Kuanòvods have grey or white hair, and their eyes are most often gray. Kuanòvods also usually wear drab, gray clothing. The average Kuanòvod lives for 900 years.
Kuanòvods have most of the aspects of their gnomish and dwarven cousins, although Kuanòvods are somewhat more cheerful than dwarves, but still less cheerful than gnomes. Kuanòvods enjoy eating, drinking, and telling stories around campfires – especially if they are about some famous ancestor of the teller or one of their great racial heroes. Kuanòvods love precious metals and gems, and are consequently excellent miners and gem cutters; they are also good woodworkers. Kuanòvods are highly courageous, and friends or foes are never forgotten.
They are semi-nomadic hunters and herders of caribou (the name Kuanòvod is derived from a root meaning Herder). Their society is tribal, with each tribe being made up of a number of independent clans. Each tribe has a specific territory within which the various clans roam freely, following the herds. There is, however, no formal government or social organization above the clan level, but they do have mechanisms for resolving intra-tribal disputes that involve having a disinterested third party (some other clan chief) acting as judge /arbitrator. For this reason, the relationships between the various clans are very important.
Kuanòvod s are 70% likely to have tame animals accompanying them. These animals are as follows: 5-30 giant badgers (01-30%), 2-8 brown bears (31-50%), or 5-20 wolves (51-00%).
Kuanòvod characters have the following game-specific (3.5) characteristics:
- Stat Adjustments: +2 Constitutions, -2 Strength.
- Size: Small (As a Small creature, a Kuanòvod gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character).
- Movement: A Kuanòvod’s base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A Kuanòvod can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Cold Endurance: Kuanòvod have a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armour Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armour Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive checks
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (mammals only, duration 1 minute).
- Favoured Class: Ranger. A multiclass Kuanòvod’s Ranger class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
- Restrictions: Kuanòvod are unable to cast arcane spells of any sort.
Based on the Uldra article in Dragon Magazine # 119 and the Arctic Gnome entry on the Hypertext SRD.